As of March 10, 2012, there are new process details for foreigners over 16 years of age who have entered Italy for the first time and possess a residence permit with a duration of at least one year.
Beginning on March 10, 2012, the following will apply to foreigners over 16 years of age who have entered Italy for the first time and possess a residence permit for at least one year:
- Upon signing of the Contract of Stay, foreigners will be assigned 16 credits corresponding to level A1 for skills in the Italian language and a sufficient level of culture and life in Italy. They should attend a free mini-course, which lasts between five and 10 hours.
- Integration is measured in credits that refer to linguistic knowledge, courses attended, each foreigner's level of education, and certain actions taken. The credits may be lost for any criminal charges, personal security measures, or illegal administration or taxes.
- Within two years of signing the Contract of Stay, the prefecture will review the documentation and can request an exam if necessary. At least thirty points (credits) must be achieved within this period of time; if not, the following will apply:
- Credits 1-29: The foreigner will be asked to retake exams or courses and must obtain 30 credits within the following year.
- Credit of 0: The residence permit will be revoked and expulsion will be implemented.